Thursday, October 22, 2009

Have Yourself a Metal Little Christmas

A quick Internet search will reveal that the new solo record by the Metal God, Rob Halford, Winter Songs and the new Trans-Siberian Orchestra album, Night Castle, both in stores next Tuesday, have leaked. Rather than review these discs in the traditional manner (both are serviceable, neither are great), I thought I'd do a wildly season-inappropriate blog post sharing my five favorite metal Christmas songs of all time. It's somewhat surprising that a list like this can even exist, since the holiday celebrates the birth of Christ and the genre often celebrates his crucifixion, but who am I to complain? Baby Jesus and Satan alike would approve of all of the following jams. (Sorry for the lousiness of some of the clips. Look up the real songs if you like.)

5. "Oh Come All Ye Faithful" by Twisted Sister (2006)

4. "We Three Kings" by Halford (2009)

3. "Christmas Eve (Sarajevo 12/24)" by Savatage (1994)

2. "Old City Bar" by Trans-Siberian Orchestra (1996)

1. "No Presents for Christmas" by King Diamond (1985)



Are these rad? Do they suck? What are your favorite metal Christmas songs?

5 comments:

  1. Deck the Joy by Theocracy is a fantastic metal Christmas song.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2p1Sx1xWOg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every Christmas I listen to Nightwish's cover of "Walking in the Air." [/nerd]

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. It's almost Halloween, where's your list of best metal Halloween tracks?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am skilled in the ways of the internet and have found no leak.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I gotta do a Halloween one, but with TSO and Halford dropping Christmas albums on the same day it seemed relevant to do Christmas. I'll do Halloween ON Halloween, I guess.

    And Barry, maybe it got removed but I swear to God I found it haha. Alternatively I think it's all on YouTube. And it comes out in three days anyway.

    ReplyDelete