Friday, October 16, 2009

5 Trends in Metal That Need to Stop Immediately

As long as there has been heavy metal, there have been forces working to take it down from within. In the 1980s, it was glam metal, which sought to convince mainstream America that it was somehow "heavy" to wear profuse amounts of makeup and spandex while strutting around Los Angeles like a bunch of male prostitutes. In the early 1990s, a group of dirty, drug-addled Seattleites thankfully killed this movement, but with Kurt Cobain's suicide and the collapse of most of the other heavy hitters from the era, grunge gave way to rap metal and nu metal, which marked a new low for the genre at large. It didn't take long for Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park to become Slipknot and Disturbed, and suddenly the new standard for angst-ridden music was made even more obnoxious. In this decade, metalcore was born and brought to metal's forefront for a time, and its heavy hitters like Killswitch Engage and As I Lay Dying were even worse than Slipknot. In 2009, it's easy to become complacent. None of the aforementioned trends are very strong. But it doesn't mean there isn't awfulness in metal; it's just better disguised. What follows is a list of five "next big things" that the metal community just doesn't need. Let the flaming begin!

5. Irony: I shouldn't have to tell you that irony is the lowest form of comedy, lower even than the pun, and that it has no place in metal. Unfortunately, it's a very real side-effect of the hipsterization of our beloved genre. Examples of irony's infiltration into metal include listing "hilarious" genres like crunk and afrobeat on your MySpace page, penning "hysterical" song titles, recording "priceless" cover tunes, doing "funny" photo shoots that make you look like children, and mass-producing too-tight t-shirts in every color of the rainbow. Worst offenders: Iwrestledabearonce, The Devil Wears Prada, A Day to Remember, the entire Rise Records roster

4. Tough guy stage presence: This only really applies to the live environment, but since bands that participate in this tomfoolery tour this country like a cancer, it's dire. Because I'm a nice guy, I'll give some tips to heavy metal frontmen who feel the need to engage in macho posturing. First of all, if your music was worth moshing to, the crowd would mosh. Telling them to is lame and annoying. Secondly, your audience is guys who got off at the factory early and want to get out some rage before they go home, put on a wifebeater, and inevitably beat their wife. And that's fine. But stop touring with good, sophisticated bands and hitch a ride with Lynyrd Skynyrd when they're in town. Their audience would appreciate your Neanderthalic chest-pounding a lot more than most of the people you insist on playing for. Worst offenders: Lamb of God, DevilDriver, Dååth, Demiricous

3. Extremely guttural vocals
: I shouldn't have a problem with straight up, honest-to-God death metal, but sometimes I do. To bands who feel the need to gargle thumbtacks before they hit the mic, I implore you to listen to your forefathers. Chuck Schuldiner, Jeff Walker, John Tardy, Chris Barnes, and Tomas Lindberg did not vomit while trying to say words and call it a vocal performance, so quit trying to out-brutal one another and find a vocal identity of your own. Worst offenders: Dying Fetus, Job for a Cowboy, Godless Rising, most bands with illegible logos

2. Traditional folk instruments:
For some reason, the current "pagan metal" movement is being critically lauded and dominating the U.S. tour scene. In the early days of the scene when bands like Finntroll and Moonsorrow mostly stood alone, I wouldn't have had much of a problem with it, but it's becoming an excuse for a lack of musical vision. "Oh, we're from Scandinavia! We can just play Grandpa's music and scream over top of it!" News flash: it is possible to pay tribute to your heritage without compromising your testicular fortitude. Just ask Amon Amarth. It's even more annoying now that bands with no pagan heritage insist on playing pagan metal. If you're from any state with the possible exception of Minnesota, your heritage is not strong enough to justify a hurdy-gurdy. Mark my words, this faux-Viking crap will be an embarrassing memory within a year or two. Worst offenders: Turisas, Ensiferum, Tyr, Eluveitie

1. Breakdowns:
It should come as no surprise that breakdowns take the top spot on a list of what's wrong with metal today. The so-called deathcore movement has taken the one element of thrash and death metal that could ruin otherwise good songs and made an entire genre out of it. I can barely justify listening to anything that makes prominent use of the breakdown, and there's nothing you can say to convince me that they have value. I don't have words for how awful deathcore is and how immediately it needs to die. Worst offenders: Suicide Silence, Bring Me the Horizon, Winds of Plague, Animosity

13 comments:

  1. Regarding irony: Iwrestledabearonce oozes it, so I'm not going to debate with you on that. However, I feel like you're considering TDWP and ADTR ironic because of the merch they sell and the fact that they're trying to do something different with their photo shoots. I just visited both of their Myspaces, and neither of them have "ironic" genres listed. And, for what it's worth, ADTR doesn't do the "hysterical" song titles.

    Regarding deathcore: Let's start with the bands you listed: Suicide Silence, Bring Me The Horizon, Wings Of Plague, Animosity. Wait, what? ANIMOSITY? You recently admitted to me that you hadn't really listened to Animosity, so unless you listened to their earlier stuff (which, I will admit, does have its fair share of breakdowns) their placing on this list is a terrible, terrible mistake. I suggest you listen to Bombs Over Rome off of their newest album, Animal. And okay, I can accept that there MIGHT not be anything that I can say to convince you that breakdowns aren't obnoxious. And sometimes I agree that it can get very tiring, especially when it gets to the point where a band is unable to write an interesting segue into another part, and is then forced to use a breakdown to compensate. I feel like you're depriving yourself of wonderful bands because of your complete rejection of the breakdown, however. For example, I'm listening to Dead To Fall's Chum Fiesta right now, which is a great thrasher for the majority of the song, but in the middle there is a FANTASTIC breakdown which quickly transforms into more thrash for the rest of the song. Are you saying that because of that thirty seconds or however long it is, you would immediately push the band aside, claiming that it had completely ruined the song?

    Suicide Silence does suck though. I'll agree with you on that.

    Overall, I feel like this article was written with the idea of "These are five things I don't like about metal, so let's get rid of them completely so that I'm completely happy." I do understand that it's an opinionated piece and that the chances that what I have written will have changed your mind are very little, it's good to keep an open mind. I would say that before you write your next piece, make sure to do sufficient research before making wild claims. It will make your points a lot stronger. Sorry if this comment wasn't particularly cohesive, I'm writing it in the provided comment box and I'm trying to write it as quickly as possible so that I'm not late for my criminal justice discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Comment two: I feel like actual disturbing trends in metal could be the increased "importance" of fashion before passion; the oversaturation of both death metal and deathcore markets with similar sounding bands; the disinterest in writing interesting music and just writing the most br00tal song you can, etc. etc. etc. I feel like those are slightly more objective topics to write about as opposed to writing about what you dislike about metal and proclaiming that they need to be destroyed completely. Because to be completely honest, it makes you sound like a pretty closeminded guy to write like this, when of course you're not by any means. Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeah, it's definitely nothing but sheer opinion meant to stir up shit. And it did, haha. I'm not SERIOUSLY suggesting that everything I dislike just goes away, but it's just a nice sensationalistic way to get my point across. And I certainly agree that there's some supersaturation issues. Unfortunately, there's money in being just like everyone else, and all five of the things I rail against here are things you can do to get on a major U.S. tour, sadly.

    And I did listen to some Animosity, not sure from what record, and it's pretty fucking brocore in my opinion, but again, it's opinion.

    Next time I'll just rip on Creed and Brokencyde because that won't offend anybody. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. word. add to the list Andy Sneap style production. though i guess that doesnt apply to any bands i listen to, but neither do these things, though they still suck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I won't knock Sneap production because some bands really benefit from that crystal-clear sound. Arch Enemy, Nevermore, and a few others immediately leap to mind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 5,4,1 fo sho.

    3, yes, unless that band is a sweet grind band or a sweet death metal band. Deathcore just needs to die.

    And folk instruments roooooool

    ReplyDelete
  7. Go get Animosity's "Animal". Not brocore at all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. its not that they benefit from it so much as that its just the way it sounds and no other way, so if you like the music you'll think the production always fits. he produced Exodus' Tempo of the Damned which has great music so i dig it, but i think his production renders the sound sterile and mechanical sounding, which is no bueno for rock music of any style.

    also i think you actually would like that Animosity album Keith named, you do listen to The Red Chord and shit like that :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gah, always with the Red Chord! I let myself slip out of character for one fucking band, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 5)Totally
    4)Yep
    3)Almost agree, but Chris Barnes is the definition of gutteral...
    2)I love cheesy folk metal. Ensiferum's self-titled is one of my favorite albums (but then again that album featured Jari Maanpaa or however you spell his name and his ridiculous guitar work). Likewise Equilibrium and Moonsorrow continue to produce some of the most compositionally exciting pieces I've heard. While bands like Turisas or Korpiklaani can be incredibly cheesy (which they are...very very cheesy) the whole goal is to get get drunk and have a good time. I'll tell you what needs to go regarding folk metal though. Taking promo pictures in chain mail and armor while wielding medieval weapons. That crap is terrible.

    1) I couldn't agree more. I hate breakdowns. In regards to Keith's point I think breakdowns have moved beyond innovative and have turned into a crutch for many bands. Top Notch death metal bands (I'm thinking largely of bands on Sumerian Records) and even core bands looking to move beyond their roots possess enough technical chops and songwriting ability to write good songs without breakdowns, but become hampered by the fan's desire for a XFUKINXBRKDWNX. Good bands seem forced into using breakdowns to appeal to their fans, and bad bands use breakdowns to compensate for their lack of ability and songwriting prowess. Its time for something new.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can understand Barnes compared to some of the modern guys, but I can dig that.

    And yeah, I think there's some good folk metal out there, but it's just becoming too easy to do...Heathenfest, Paganfest, and all these tours are making bands with no business playing pagan metal do it for the money. Or I'm scynical.

    And yeah, I've heard some songs that ONLY have breakdowns. It's time for some new ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just talked your ear off at Metal Underground but I thought I'd share this disturbing image....

    http://new.merchnow.com/products/90973

    ReplyDelete